Not- So Traditional Apple Crisp

If you ever tasted the most delicious apple crisp...this is truly the one. I guaranty you that you will not switch back to the same old...same old. I made this about a month ago, and did not intend to post it on my blog, but now's a good time as any, since my camera broke down, and I will be picking up the new one at my friend's house today. She works at the largest and second favorite department store, Wal-Mart, and passed on her employee discount to me....and not just any discount, but she bought the same camera for herself, and passed both discounts, and that is a huge favor, and present a friend could give to you. I still have quite a few of my little index recipe cards from 20 years ago, before even Windows 95, which was my first computer.

I have cut out this recipe, called Traditional apple crisp from our local Palm Beach Times food section, and carefully glued it onto the index card.The recipe calls for 6 apples, but I only had 4, so I substituted a can of sliced peaches in syrup, and gave it a shot...and you know what? It's the best apple crisp I have tasted so far, and I know for a fact, that there are other versions of this, which I have seen on the food blogs. So here is my adaptation of the recipe.
Not-So Traditional Apple Crisp

1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
cinnamon
1/2 cup (4oz.) butter
4 medium apples
1 15 oz can sliced peaches in syrup
(save 1/2 cup of the syrup)
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
Dash of salt

Combine oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in butter, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside. Peel, core and slice apples. Fold in the canned, sliced peaches, and add the syrup. Place in a 10 x 6 by 2-inch baking dish, or a square 8x8 dish. Sprinkle with the granulated sugar, sprinkle the crumb mixture  over all. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes.
Serve with vanilla ice cream, or ice cream of your choice. So yummy, and comforting, it is a simple, yet a wonderful easy dessert. Serves 6.





Enhanced by Zemanta

19 comments:

  1. My heart and thoughts go out to Sheryl's friends and family. Thank you for sharing the Kaddash with us. Your apple crisp truly does look delicious. I love how baking can provide such comfort to those that prepare the food and those that enjoy it. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe! Have a good Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao Elisabeth!
    Thank you very much for the award:)

    I do really like apples and your apple crisp reminds to me the english crumbe, which is one of my favorite puddings!

    Hugs,
    barbaraxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. I love apple in baking. Sure Sheryl will be in our memories. I will praying for her soul to rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elizabeth,
    Thank you for your genius and kindness giving this award! I am barely a month old in food blogging. Just like a kid I was pleased as punch when I received it. Humbled and honored I am more inspired by you to do my best.

    Love your apple crumble! With ice cream, sensational!! Thanks again for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll take the non-traditional route any day :) Your crisp looks great! I would have never thought to just substitute peaches.. I like the way you think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apple crisp looks wonderful and prefect for me..very inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  7. If pears are involved I'm in!!!!!! Thank you for adding me on FoodBuzz. I enjoyed reading your cranberry post ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that looks amazing!!! I love how you added peaches and it turned out sooo delicious! I love when things like that happen. I'm definitely going to be trying this. Apples are my favorite fruit and I LOVE peaches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Elizabeth, this crisp looks amazing...love the add of peaches, and the combination is delicious.
    I forgot to mention in your last post, but sorry about your camera. Sounds like it is working out OK though :)
    I will check out your new friend you have added here to your award :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore all the fruit crumble...they are simply delightful, quick , easy n decadent!Your first pic with ice cream is very very tempting:)

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  11. traditional or not your apple crisp look so good.
    congrats on your new camera.
    hope you're having a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
  12. Apple crisp looks and sounds too good, and I like the addition of peaches to it,and with the ice-cream oooh la...la...*drooling*

    ReplyDelete
  13. We, esp. my husband, love crisp! His favourite is with peaches. This looks really crisp and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks lovely! I love apple crumbles and the addition of peaches is genius :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your poor camera. I'm so glad you decided to share this. Lovely crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elizabeth, these apple crisp is making my mouthwater... For starters i practically love anything with apples inside, b ut this recipes looks delicious! Thank you very much for sharing. All the best. Luna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, that looks beautiful. So Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!!! I love how it's not traditional. Peaches are always a treat!

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and comments are greatly appreciated. It really makes me happy to have you stop by. Will do my best to comment back. Thank you and take care! Hugs,

Cleveland Winter 2017

Hello my friends, I hope you all had a great holiday. I just got back from Ohio and I thought it would be nice to put together a post to s...